The Teaching Your Child Homeschool Podcast – 07 – Show Notes
This show is all about different ways to teach math. Math can be fun if you approach it from some different perspectives. Here are some ideas.
- Carpentry – We used an immense amount of math in a home restoration and were continually surprised by how much math we used. This was a great opportunity to show our kids where math actually applied to the real world.
- Cooking – The list of potential math used in cooking and baking is endless and can even branch into science and gastronomy. The best part…. You get to eat your math problem.
- Photography – You can work ratios, timing, film speed, pixels, etc. Building a pinhole camera can turn this into a carpentry project as well.
- Art– Math and art share more similarities than many people realize and much favorable art has been found to be mathematically proportional.
- Ideas mentioned : Golden ratio, fractals, proportion, symmetry
- Weapons Study – This was based on a class that Nicole taught for our Homeschool co-op. They found that analysis of historical and modern weapons utilized a great degree of math. It also goes without saying…. The kids thought this class was absolutely awesome.